A car ride with my children typically goes like this: "Mommy diggggerrrr!" "Mommy how come the trees are.... " "Mommy crane! Mommy city bus, more city bus!" "Yes sweetie a city bus." "Mommy the trees - why are..." "Tanker truck mommy! A tanker truck!" "Can you stop talking I want to ask mommy a question!" "What do you want to know about trees?" "We go under bridge mommy? Mommy, mommy a truck!" "Wow another truck! Can you see any more diggers, sweetie?" "Mommy! why do they turn colours?" "The trees, love? Do you want to know why they turn..." "Mommy a bridge!" And so on...They used to feel quite exhausting, the car trips, I mean. Now I've gotten used to them and worry about the day when no one will be asking me about the trees and how high the clouds are and no one will be pointing out the diggers and the cranes and the tanker trucks and the fire trucks. I actually think I'll miss the incessant barrage of questions and exclamations.
Ah... I love my children. Sometimes though, like tonight, I crave a little adult conversation, a little brain workout. It's not that I don't enjoy spending time with my kids. I love it. But diggers and tanker trucks and dinosaurs and bad and good guys can only satisfy me for so long. I mean really, if you've seen one digger, you've seen them all. And tanker trucks just don't do it for me like they do for my two year old. As for dinosaurs, well I did want to be a paleontologist for the longest time, but dinos 24-7 is a bit too much, even for me. And the good guys/bad guys, ohhhh that's soooo easy. I'm the good guy, the ex is the bad guy ( I don't tell my children this, of course, but he and I both know it's true). So, that leaves me wanting that adult conversation. Sometimes I just want to talk about the world or a book I've been reading or the state of the economy or which idiot I'm going to vote for in the municipal election.
You see, being single has it's upside. I don't have to make my bed if I don't want to, or shave my legs every day if I don't want to. I can watch 5 chick flicks in a row or have toast for dinner and there is no one to bug me, no one to snore and wake me in the middle of the night, no one to fart under the covers or leave the sink all wet. But, there is also no one to bounce ideas off of, or talk to about the story I heard on the radio, or discuss philosophy with... And I can't just phone my friends at 11 o'clock at night when I get a craving for adult interaction.
Then again... when my 6 year old says, "Mommy, I love your singing" and my 2 year old says, "I love you mommy," and gives me a hug like there's no tomorrow, I suddenly don't care about philosophy or the world or anything else except DIGGGGERRRRS!
No comments:
Post a Comment